Last Updated April 09, 2018
If you ask a woman what is your favorite home appliance in your kitchen, the answer will be a pressure cooker. Do you think I am joking? No, go ahead and ask, even I will answer the same.
Life is not easy as before. There was a time when cooking was an exciting option for women, and they enjoyed it. But now cooking is on the list of time-consuming task and it is because for the busy life in modern world. Everybody is working, and if you observe, then you can see people tend to spend less time in a cooking dish and eating.
I think Denis Papin, the inventor of pressure cooker knew that this day would come one day. Thanks to him to invent this beautiful cooking appliance. With it, you can cook a delicious and healthy food within 15-20 minute and safely.
New to this?
Then follow this blog about Best Pressure Cooker Recipes: 17 STEPS and enjoy your time by making them for your family.
Why is it easier to cook in a pressure cooker?
Before going to any recipe or how to cook with a pressure cooker, you have to know about a pressure cooker. What is a pressure cooker? Why is it so popular nowadays?
A pressure cooker works with steam pressure. It follows a simple rule. A closed pot with a large quantity of steam inside. This steam works as high pressure that cooks the food faster.
How pressure cooker works ?
In the pressure cooker, you will get a valve; this valve controls the steam that creates pressure in a sealed pot. When pot gest hot, the steam gets Know by the liquid that you have put inside the pot. This helps to create the pressure inside the pot.
There are two major effects that the steam pressure has:
One is it makes water boil in the cooker. When you are cooking wet vegetables like steamed or stew vegetables, you have to limit the water boiling point.
But in the pressure cooker, the steam pressure allows boiling the water at a certain point. The boiling point helps to create the pressure that helps too, cook food faster.
The other factor is the raised pressure turns the liquid into food. This pressure is also responsible for getting the moisture and liquid in the food forcefully.
By this force, your r food is ready in no time and your meat will be fork tender and juicy. With the high heat that comes extra in the cooker helps to make brown and caramel stunningly.
Traditionally we make caramel from a liquid, but in the pressure cooker, it is done correctly without any liquid form.
You don’t have to worry about the taste or flavor as you may think they will taste like steamed food. The taste is complex and deep. It is amazing.
What will you cook in a pressure cooker?
Anything in this world! From soup, rice, tea, and name any food. We often soak beans or chickpeas overnight to make it soft.
But with a pressure cooker, the chickpeas or beans will be on your table in an hour perfectly cooked. Your beef, pork meat will tender after you can cook the food in the pressure cooker. You can cook vegetables, stew and also can boil the egg in this beautiful cooker.
Is there any trick to know when you are cooking in a pressure cooker?
Yes, you have to know some techniques and process when you are cooking in it. When you are ready to cook in the pressure cooker, heat up the cooker. Then add food and stir for some time. Then close the cooker with the lid, and you wait to let the food cook. The food will cook in a certain pressure.
You have to know which food needs which pressure level.
When you think that your food is ready, then you have to let the steam pressure out. When you are cooking, you may know the time of the food getting brown, or boil but in a pressure cooker, you cannot guess the timing.
The pressure level is the point that will help you to cook food perfectly. So you have to know the pressure level of every food you want to cook.
What are the advantages of using a pressure cooker?
There was a time when in a home pressure cooker was used on a stove, then everyone had to go out from the kitchen.
Because of the blasting pressure cooker with scattered dinner on the wall was a typical scenario. But modern-day pressure cookers are safe and have enough safety measurement.
The pressure cooker has handles with locking lid, and pressure doesn’t build up quickly. So you can cook safely and fast.
Why you need a pressure cooker?
There have so many reasons to own a pressure cooker.
- Cook fast and save time
If I could, I would change the name of pressure cooker into a fast cooker. It saves a lot of time.
You know dry beans takes time in cooking frequently, but if you use a pressure cooker, you will have your supper with delicious beans within an hour. A significant money and energy saver:
You will not believe how much energy a pressure cook uses by using trapped steam. Your money and energy are there for you. Great right?
- Healthy food
Whether you know or not, the pressure that created by high heat traps all the nutrient in the menu. So we can tell that food with a pressure cooker is better than steaming and boiling.
- Rich flavor
If you can cook food in a pressure cooker, then you will get brown and caramelized food.
The pressure brings out the complex and depth flavor of the food. You will enjoy the food with tremendous taste.
You will get moist and fork tender meat for the pressure cooker.
- Life is easy
Cooking in the kitchen means all that sweat and energy loss.
But if you are a smart cook than you will use a pressure cooker to be fresh and energetic for the rest of the day.
The best thing about a pressure cooker is it is super convenient and comfortable.
Is the food healthy that is cooked by the pressure cooker?
Well, here we are in the most significant point of argument. There are many debates about healthy and unhealthy things about the pressure cooker food process. Some say the foods are unhealthy because it needs high heat and high pressure.
But it is entirely wrong. Let’s know about it little more:
- The high temperature in the pressure cooker doesn’t destroy the food nutrients. The cooking time kills it. With a pressure cooker, the cooking time gets short so that you can tell the nutrient of the food stays well in the pressure cooker.
- We all know that steamed vegetable is better than a boiled one. A pressure cooker works like a steam cooker when you cook vegetables in it. It needs less water. So you are getting a healthy cooked vegetable.
- In the grain lectin and phytic acid is available. Surprisingly, if you cook the grains in the pressure cooker than these harmful elements get eliminate.
And lastly, how to use this pressure cooker:
- If you are new to this fantastic cooker, don’t worry. It is effortless to use even if you are seeing it for the first time in your life. Here are some tips:
- Take one or two cups of water and add them to the pot inside.
- Close the cooker with a lid properly.
- Check the valve is closing correctly or not.
- Then pick the cooking button that has indicted short cooking time.
- Now just watch and wait.
- The water will take 5 minutes to heat up and create pressure.
- If the pressure is reached in the certain level, the timer will start.
- Now is the time to release the pressure. The easy way to release the pressure is doing nothing. The pressure will go away. And if you want to release it quickly open the valves.
Disadvantages of a pressure cooker
Everything in this world has advantage and disadvantage. So do the pressure cooker have. As we talked about the benefits of this wonderful cooker, let’s talk about the obstacles.
- For a new user, it takes time to learn the use and the measurement of the food or water. The main problem is water measurement. If you give many, the food will get soaked, and if you use less, the steam pressure will be less.
- Patience is required in the pressure cooking process. As you have to lock the lid so you can’t see the food condition outside. And after cooking you have to wait till the steam was gone. Sometimes you will see after waiting so long; the food is uncooked. You have to go through the process again. So patience is very much required.
- For new users, it is 100 % guarantee that they will have to deal with overcooked foods for some day. So for new users, a cooking book for a pressure cooker is highly recommended.
- The main thing about this pressure cooker is closing the lid and using the valve correctly. If you don’t accident may happen. There are many fatal cases arrived with a pressure cooker. You will have to be careful that is all.
Now after we know that why we need a pressure cooker. Now let’s go to what recipes can we make with a pressure cooker.
Hope you will love the recipes:
Best healthy pressure cooker recipes
Here you will get the healthy pressure cooker recipes that are loved by all.
I hope you will also like the recipes.
French onion soup
This recipe is one of the pressure cooker recipes vegetarian. It is for them who loves soup and wants to have it fast.
Caramelizing onions takes a long time if you cook it traditionally. If you use a pressure cooker, then this time comes down in 30 minutes.
To make this delicious creamy soup, you will need:
- Butter – 6 tablespoons.
- Chicken stock.
- Large onions – 4 to 5.
- Baking soda- ½ teaspoon.
- Kosher salt.
- Black pepper freshly crushed.
- Fine wine like Amontillado – ½ cup.
- Chicken stock – 2 quarts.
- Bay leaf
- Fish sauce – 1 teaspoon.
- Toasted slice bread – 8 bowls.
- Garlic – 1 clove.
- Gruyere cheese 1 pound.
- Fresh Chives.
Way to cook
- First, melt the butter over medium heat in the pressure cooker. Then add baking soda and onions. Stir it well. Now add pepper and salt. Cook it for 3 minutes until the onion gets soft. Now lock the lid and heat the pressure. Wait for 20 minutes then release the steam. After all the steam gets out then open the lid.
- Now stir continuously until the liquid inside gets less and the onions are sticky and deep brown.
- No add the fine wine and cook it until the wine smell is gone. Now it is time to add the chicken stock, bay leaf, and thyme. Make the heat medium-high and bring the mixture to boiling point. Let it boil for 10 minutes.
- Now add fish sauce, vinegar. Your soup is ready. All this process takes only 20 minutes.
Chicken with chorizo, tomatoes, and chickpeas
This is one of the best pressure cooker recipes chicken breasts. Though there are lots of ingredients in a pressure cooker, it is cooked in half an hour.
To make this tasty food you will need:
- Olive oil- 2 tablespoons.
- Chorizo cut into Spanish style- 8 ounces.
- 1 onion medium size.
- Spanish paprika 1 tablespoon.
- Chickpeas – 2 cans.
- Diced tomatoes – 1 can.
- Homemade chicken stock – 2 cup.
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper grounded.
- Wine vinegar 2 teaspoons.
- Parsley leaves chopped
Way to cook
- Pour oil into the pressure cooker and heat it over medium heat. Heat it until it boils. Then add chorizo and stir it.
After 2 minutes’ crisp will start around the edge.
Then add onion. Cook the onion till it gets soft.
You have to cook it for 3 minutes. Now it is time to add chicken stock, chicken, tomatoes, chickpeas, and paprika. Use pepper and salt if it requires.
- Now lock the pressure cooker lid and wait for 15 minutes with high pressure.
Now open the lid after letting all the steam out and start to cook.
Now you have to prepare for the high heat. You will get a thick broth after 5 minutes. Mix vinegar, pepper, and salt. Then serve it with olive oil.
Beef stew recipe
This recipe is best as pressure cooker recipes beef. We all love red meat. Just follow this recipe and trust me you will love red meat more. To make this stew, you will need:
- 3 cups of chicken stock.
- Powdered gelatin – 4 packets.
- Tomato paste – 3 tablespoons.
- Soy sauce 1 tablespoon.
- Asian fish sauce 1 tablespoon.
- Worcestershire sauce 1 tablespoon.
- Vegetable oil 2 tablespoons.
- Boneless beef 3 pounds.
- Black pepper and kosher salt.
- White button mushrooms 10 ounces.
- Carrots medium size 4
- Pearl onions 8 ounces.
- Yellow onion large
- Small celery 2.
- Garlic medium size – 3
- Fine wine 1 cup.
- Flour 2 tablespoons.
- Bay leaves - 2
- Thymes – 4
- Gold potatoes – 1 pound
- Frozen peas – 4 ounces.
Way to cook
- Mix fish sauce, soy sauce, tomato paste, gelatin, Worcestershire sauce and stock in the blender and blend it at high speed.
- Then take a pressure cooker and heat the oil to boiling over medium heat. Mix salt and pepper in the beef than add it to the oil. Cook and turn the beef until the meat gets brown. You will have to do it for 10 minutes. Then take all the beef out and keep it on the plate.
- Now add the mushrooms to the cooker and cook. You have to stir for 6 minutes until the mushroom gets brown and liquid gets out. Now low the heat and chop pearl onion and carrots. Cook them until they get brown. Take them to a bowl.
- Now add the yellow onion, celery ribs, carrots, and garlic in the pressure cooker and cook it for 4 minutes until they get brown.
- Now add some fine wine and cook for 3 minutes until the wine reduces. Then add the stock.
- Cut the steaks and transfer in a bowl. Toss the beef with flour. Now combine all the ingredients with thyme and bay leaves. Mix all of them in the cooker and close the pressure cooker with a lid. Then cook for 30 minutes. Then let the steam pressure out.
- Then add the remaining garlic, onion, thyme, bay leaves, fish out, tongs, celery, mushrooms, potatoes, carrots in the stew and again close the pressure cooker. Cook for 15 minutes. Then release the pressure.
- Mix the peas and serve the stew with pepper and salt.
This recipe is one of the best pressure cooker recipes pork. You will not even get the taste of what are you eating as it is so tasty.
You will need:
- Pork meat – 2pounds.
- Sea salt.
- Black pepper crushed.
- Butter – 2 tablespoon
- Onion medium size.
- Garlic cloves – 4
- Carrots – 2
- Stalks celery – 2
- Apple juice – ½ cup
- Worcestershire sauce 2 tablespoon
- Brown sugar 1 tablespoon
- Yellow mustard 1 teaspoon.
- Fresh herbs 2 teaspoons.
- Cornstarch 1 tablespoon
- ¼ cup water.
Way to cook
- Mix pepper and salt in the pork. Heat the pressure cooker and melt butter in the heat. Now take the pork meat and cook both sides until it gets brown. Then add garlic and onion and cook it for 2 minutes till it gets soft.
- Then mix all the ingredients – herbs, mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, apple juice, celery and carrots, and stir.
- Now close the pressure cooker with the lid and heat with high heat. Cook for 15- 30 minutes.
- Then release the pressure and take the pork to the plate.
- Make thick juice with water, cornstarch and add to the pork meat. If you need you can add pepper and salt.
Now we will talk about one of the easy electric pressure cooker recipes. Lemon rice is a dish that everybody loves. This rice goes well with a barbecue.
If you have a barbecue party in the home, remember to have this rice with it.
Your friends will not leave your house without saying thank you hundred times. And with an electric pressure, it takes 5- 6 minutes.
To cook this rice, you will need:
- Butter – 2 tablespoons.
- Grain rice – 2cups.
- Chicken stock.
- Water 1 cup
- Lemon juice ¼ cup
- Fresh parsley.
Way to cook
Take the electric pressure and add butter to it. When the butter is hot and melted, you can add the rice. Cook and stir the rice for 2 minutes until it is all mixed with butter. Then add stock, salt, lemon juice and water.
Then close the pressure cooker with lid and set the pressure high. You can set the timer for 4 minutes.
When the pressure cooker turns off by beep sound, wait for 5 minutes then use fast pressure release to let the pressure out. The valve will drop, and it will allow moving the lid. Your rice is ready.
Here were some of my favorite easy pressure cooker recipes. You can try any one of them or all of them. It is your choice. Besides, it takes less time so you can try all of them.
Food is a thing that people loves to have with grace.
For me, cooking is an art. When you know the proper mixing ingredients and techniques, the food will be delicious and lucrative.
But as the world is getting fast so the life of we, people are getting busy.
There is less time to spend with foods in making and serving. But with a pressure cooker, we can have the best pressure cooker recipes. Just know the techniques, tricks, and use of the cooker, you will be making delicious juicy foods for your friends and family.
cdn.pressurecookerportal.com, tse1.mm.bing.net, seriouseats.com, seriouseats.com, tse4.mm.bing.net, img.sndimg.com/